Saturday, March 2, 2013

First chemo experience

Well, I did it. I went through my first chemo injection yesterday and it wasn't actually as bad as I had expected. I was in chair #2 this time, a bit disappointing because it's a corner chair, away from the fun and excitement ;-). Next time, I'm going to request a chair on the main drive, where there are more people I can talk to and interact with it. If that doesn't work, I'll unplug my machine from the wall (perfectly allowable) and mosey my way around to meet people. Might as well do something fun and productive while they attempt to save my life while dripping death into me!
I did get one fun moment while there yesterday. My friend Corrie and her Mom Mary came by and brought a gift!! Corrie is just a week post-surgery herself and will soon be joining me in the chemo chairs. I count her and her mom as one of the many beautiful gift God has given me along the journey. I am so thankful for them!
The administrations of the drugs themselves was pretty uneventful. The Cytoxin burned my nostrils a bit, but the nurse had warned me about it, so it didn't take me by surprise.

---I just handed my cat my cracker to lick. We share sometimes, and then just realized I can't do that anymore! Not while on chemo. DRAT :-(. I guess she gets the whole cracker now. She doesn't seem to disappointment about that....
Now back to my chemo recap. How I feel right now resembles a lot how I felt during the first trimester of my pregnancies. Queasy, lethargic, melancholic, mild, dull headache and exhausted! Did I mentioned I didn't care for pregnancy? Yeah. Not caring for this much either. A couple symptoms I didn't have with pregnancy and that I will be bringing up with the doc are muscle spasms (those returned last night). Since the neurologist thinks my first episode with major muscle spasms was stress induced, I would say that fits the bill in this instance, but if they return again tonight, I'll mention them to the doc. The second thing is mental confusion. I had two full conversations with James yesterday, only to find out he wasn't actually in the room and I was talking to myself! And I can't seem to keep track of what day and time it is. I really have to focus to remember what day it is. I'm also struggling with feeling blue. I wouldn't qualify it as depression. I'm not suicidal or anything. Just down, wondering how I'm going to make the most of this for the next SIX MONTHS! But then, six months is only two-thirds of a pregnancy and I made it through one of those twice. I bet I'll be ok :).

1 comment:

  1. This was the first one, you'll never have to do the first one again. Ever. The fatigue and lack of focus - sounds normal for what I understand from others. And of course you are down! Don't think about 6 months - think about today. Tomorrow, think about that day. One day at a time. Just one day - everyone can do one day! You can do it, but only one day at a time.
    Love you!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete