Thursday, March 21, 2013

Therapeutic Thursday and Baldy McSmoothy

Therapeutic Thursday has arrived once again, as it does every Thursday :-). For those of you who missed last week's blog entry and have no idea what Therapeutic Thursday is, feel free to mosey on over to this post and read all about it. In short, every Thursday, I'm trying to do something kind for a stranger and hoping to have others join along with me in this effort. Today's act of kindness was to contact a woman on Freecycle who collects clothes for women and kids in need to see if she could use some more women's clothes. Then I went through my closet and gathered all of the clothing that either doesn't fit or that I don't wear often. They are now bagged up and Jason will drop them off at the woman's home on his way to take Gabby to gymnastics tonight.
In honor of Therapeutic Thursday, I'd like to tell you about Pam LeCouvre. I have yet to meet her, but she has already blessed me tremendously. About a month ago, Jason, the kids and I went to the Chemo Teach at Sutter Gould, which is basically chemo orientation. While we were there, they showed us the hat room and told me that I could take as many hats as I wanted for free and that I could choose a blanket too. All of the hats were handmade, as were the blankets. I chose a bright colored orange, lime green and brown fleece blanket (pictured here). I LOVE that blanket! I sleep with it every night that it's cool enough. I snuggle under it while watching tv. I take it with me to chemo treatments. I just absolutely love it! In the bag the blanket came in was this card.
On the back were care instructions and her phone number. I tried calling her a couple weeks ago to thank her for the blanket, but the man who answered the phone said she was sleeping. I called her again today and he asked who I was. I explained it to him and he gave her the phone. I chatted with her for about ten minutes and was so encouraged and uplifted! She is a breast cancer survivor of ten years now and she makes blankets (from the sounds of it, quite a few) and gives them to cancer patients. When I spoke with her, she asked if she could pray for me, and asked me to call her back in a few weeks and let her know how I was doing. She said she was going to pray that my blood levels improve and insisted several times that I call her back so she can get an update :-). What a blessing she has been to me, a total stranger!

On a completely different note, I decided this morning that I wanted Jason to shave my head with a razor. My hair has been coming out in patches and the little "stubble" not only made hats and scarves itchy, but it was starting to make my shirts and sweaters itch too, from all the little hairs that were falling into them. So "Baldy McPatchy" morphed into "Baldy McSmoothy". Here are some pictures:

Before



Here we go!









All done!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment