Friday, September 6, 2013

Stanford update

I met with two Standford neurologists this morning. Very kind women, and very thorough. The "student", who was already a neurologist herself but studying for a specialty or something like that, took a detailed medical history on me, and then did a physical examination. My body decided to put on quite the show and show her exactly what my spasms look like (she didn't get to see the paralyzed episodes or the loss of speech, but she saw pretty much everything else). After conferring with her teacher, they both returned to the room and this is what they said:
They believe that my spasms are not epileptic, but are caused by pain. The pain from my migraines gets so intense that the way my body responds is through spasms to relieve some of that pain. This didn't appear to be new concept for them, but something they've dealt with before, although I didn't think to ask them if that were the case or not. What Dr. Le (the teacher neurologist) wants to do is put me on migraine medicine. Because I am so sensitive to meds, I'll start on the "baby" dose, as she called it and gradually up it. In the mean time, I will be weaning off the Baclofen (muscle relaxers), and eventually off the Valium. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about that! Those drugs make me so sleepy it's not even funny.
She will also be ordering a 24 to 72 hour EEG, where I will stay at Stanford for one to three days on constant monitoring, wired up to a machine and being videotaped. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to use the restroom during that time, but again, I didn't think to ask ;-). She expects that to take place about a month from now. At that time, they will also most likely do an MRI. She'd like to do a spinal tap at some point, but right now it's too dangerous because of my spasms. We don't really want a needle in my spine while I'm flopping around like a fish out of water. That could be, well, bad.
Oh, Oh, Oh... I forgot to mention! I also get to have Botox treatments! Yep. Apparently Botox is a great treatment for migraines. New boobs AND Botox! Now I just need some kind of condition that requires liposuction and I'll start my new modelling career!
The neurologist also said I can't lay around in bed all day. She said that especially with my recent cancer, laying in bed all day increases my risk of blood clots. I told her that exercising causes me to have spasms and she said that's ok. Do it anyway. I'm actually excited about that one. Two workouts in one. I'll go for a walk, then come home and spasm for twenty minutes and be in super shape in no time! Who knows? Maybe I won't even need that liposuction after all!
So that's our plan for now. Thank you so much to all of you for your prayers and support. We will keep you updated as we find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment