Saturday, July 6, 2013

Should we grovel?

I have a problem, or so it may seem. I can't grovel before God. I just listened to a sermon by a well-known preacher that I highly respect, but this time, I just couldn't agree with some of what he was saying. He was talking about being careful about how we approach God, that when we pray, we need to make sure we are not being flippant, but that we are giving God the reverence He deserves. Now, I fully believe God deserves our complete adoration and respect. I am in no way saying that we should take for granted what He has done for us. However, for most of my life, I have prayed the penitent prayers over and over and over again, thinking that the sorrier I was, the holier I would become. I felt like I needed to cry repeated tears over the price that Christ paid for me, or I wasn't genuinely penitent and thankful. I don't believe that any more.
No one can compare to God, not by a mile! In and of ourselves, we are too tarnished to come in the presence of a holy God. If we try to approach God in our own strength, then yes, we should grovel. We should shake in utter fear!! BUT I am not tarnished any more!! I've been paid for, washed clean, purified and stand blameless before God! I am not approaching Him as a condemned sinner but as a redeemed saint! If I grovel, if I weep and moan and cry about how evil I am, am I not spitting on the very blood that has cleansed me?? Am I good enough to stand before God? YES! Because I've been redeemed. I've been bought. I'm not a slave anymore, so why should I continue to act like one? How in the world does that honor the God who gave His own life so that I could stand confidently before Him?
I stand in awe of God, but I can no longer live afraid of Him. He is not out to get me. He is not measuring each and every one of my thoughts and deeds to see if I'm good enough to claim as His own. He's already measured me, found me lacking, and paid the immeasurable difference so that I can be His. No amount of weeping, begging and/or self loathing will make me any more His child. That's why I can approach Him with confidence, trembling not in fear but in awe of His majesty, crying, not in pain or remorse, but in joy at the incomparably deep, deep love of the God of the universe, who loves me enough to call me His child.

No comments:

Post a Comment