Thursday, April 4, 2013

The best Therapeutic Thursday to date!

Today is a rainy, sticky, gloomy day here in Modesto. Gabby and I decided that for Therapeutic Thursday, we would try to take some of that gloom away for a couple people. We went to OSH and purchased two small ornamental pots of daisies, one with yellow flowers and one with purple ones. We then took these pots to Sutter Gould Oncology department, where I get my chemo treatments. I was really, really nervous about this, but I thought if I'm asking others to stretch themselves, I should be willing to stretch myself too, so I went with it. And as Gabby put it so well, "what in the world are you afraid they're going to do, Mom?!"
My plan was to pick out two patients, give them the flowers and leave, but when we got to the waiting area, there were no bald people!! How in the world was I supposed to know who was a patient and who was just waiting for someone if no one was advertising their cancer on their bald heads?! Oh, well. I decided to chance it. There was a woman who looked to be in her seventies sitting reading a book. I approached her and said: "Excuse me. I'm sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you are receiving treatment here today." She looked at me with a bit of a confused look on her face and said that yes, she was receiving treatment. I introduced myself and Gabby and told her that I have been receiving treatment there and that when we woke up and saw what a gloomy day it was, we thought it would be especially gloomy to have to do chemo on such a rainy day, so we thought we'd bring some color to undo some of that gloom. The woman was named Mirna, and she and I spoke for quite some time. I found out that she had breast cancer eleven years ago and that it had come back and she was receiving chemo injections in her hips every month. She was a very kind and personable woman and when the nurse called her back, she said thank you, and told us that she would pay it forward.
Then came the hard part. Everyone in the lobby now knew what we were doing and we had one pot left. Who in the world should we give it to? Gabby had originally planned on giving one out herself, but when it came time to choose, she asked me to do it. I noticed an elderly woman watching us and decided to go over to talk to her. She was sitting with a gentleman her age and another woman whom I assume was her daughter. I introduced myself and found out her name was Mary. She was not cheerful or kind like Mirna and to be honest, I'm not sure what she thought of our attempt to brighten her day. She took the flowers, but did not appear interested in any type of conversation. Her daughter, however, teared up when we presented the flowers, and I don't think it was allergies.
I noticed as we walked out of the waiting room that these two gifts had impacted most of the people there. Many were smiling as we left and I realized that even though only two people received flowers, a bit of the gloom had lifted for the rest of us as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment