Monday, August 19, 2013

PAIN!

Dark. Quiet. Lonely.
The soft purr of the cat and murmur of a fan in the distance.

Then PAIN!

Shooting pain!
I grab my ears and rock from the pressure in my head. There is no noise in the room, but my ear drums feel as if they are going to burst. My brain is in a vice and I want to pull it from my skull.
I scream as the tears course down my face and my body begs for release. 
The spasms come. Slowly at first, then faster and faster and I wish that I could lose consciousness. I wish for the sweet release of the nurse's syringe, but there is none. There is no nurse. Just the calm, deep voice of my husband reminding me to breathe. And then it's over, for a moment.
The squeeze on my brain reminds me that another one is about to come, but for a moment, for a second or two, I relax, waiting for the next storm to strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment